Chris Newgard, PhD, director of the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Svati Shah, MD, assistant professor of medicine (Cardiology), and William Kraus, MD, professor of medicine (Cardiology), Laura Svetkey, MD, professor of medicine (Nephrology) and other Medicine faculty are featured in this DukeMed Magazine article about research collaborations around metabolomics.
Tag Archives | Stedman Center
In her State of the School address last month, Dean Nancy Andrews, MD, PhD, called Matthew D. Hirschey, PhD, an expert in metabolism currently with the Gladstone Institutes at UCSF, a “rapidly rising star.”
Hirschey, who will join the Duke faculty May 1, is one of the first faculty recruits to be hired under a School of Medicine program that supports partnership hires of faculty members who bridge disciplines or fill interstices between disciplines. (Watch video of Dean Andrews discussing the program.)
In Hirschey’s case, he’ll straddle the Department of Medicine (his primary appointment, in the Division of Endocrinology), the Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology and the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition & Metabolism Center.
“Matt is a wonderful addition to the Duke faculty and the Department of Medicine,” wrote Mary Klotman, MD, professor and Chair of Medicine, upon hearing he’d accepted the offer to come to Duke. “It will be exciting to watch him collaborate with other investigators in our department and across the School of Medicine to advance the field of metabolism.”
Top news stories from the Department
- DoM faculty among leadership for $47 million award for translational research
- DoM hires new division chiefs in Endocrinology, Medical Oncology, and General Internal Medicine
- Vance Fowler to co-lead national network that will address antibacterial resistance
- Duke selected as new site for competitive vaccine and treatment research program
Browse by category
10 recent news headlines from the Department
- Grand Rounds 9/26/14: ALSUntangled: Re-Opening the X-Files
- Funding opp: Falk Medical Research Trust catalyst and transformational research programs
- Weeklong series of events addresses continuing Ebola epidemic
- Grand Rounds 9/19/14: Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
- Coffman to receive AHA award for excellence in hypertension research
- Grant writing programs help faculty refine applications
- Medicine Research Conference 9/26/14: Role of Vascular Angiotensin Receptors in Blood Pressure Control
- New funding awards – August 2014
- Grand Rounds 9/12/14: Regulation of insulin secretion by GI hormones
- Major Duke Medicine milestone: 1000 heart transplants
SOM Faculty Development – Current schedule
- Sept. 17: New Faculty Welcome Reception
- Oct. 9: New Faculty Orientation
- Oct. 14, 21, 28, Nov. 4: George Gopen seminars, Writing from the Reader's Perspective
- Oct. 16, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 20: Financial Boot Camp
- UPGG Tuesday Seminar Series: "Measuring Epigenetic Regulation of Centromeric Chromatin"
- Cheap and Dirty Tricks for Understanding Photochemistry with Modern Computers
- Ethics to Policy: Conflicts of Interest between IRB Members and Industry
- "Frizzled signaling in neural development and disease"
- Primary Care Strategies to Lower Hypertension in Rural South Asia
- Immunology Seminar Series
- Physical mechanisms of cell organization on micron length scales
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Technical Assistance for Laboratory Systems Strengthening in Mozambique under the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Human Resources for Health (HRH) Capacity Building in Malawi under the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
- Department of Defense - Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs -- Peer Reviewed Alzheimer's Disease Research Program (MRPRA) -- Military Risk Factors Research Award
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Strengthening the Capacity of Faith-based organizations (FBOs) and Faith-Based Health Systems to Sustain the Role of FBOs in a Coordinated Response to HIV/AIDS
- Health Resources and Services Administration - Strengthen Evidence Base for Maternal and Child Health Programs
2013 Annual Report
Faculty and trainee resources
Find support for your research career with this index of resources for all levels of training.
Need to update your online faculty profile? Find instructions here.
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.