Chris Newgard, PhD, director of the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Svati Shah, MD, assistant professor of medicine (Cardiology), and William Kraus, MD, professor of medicine (Cardiology), Laura Svetkey, MD, professor of medicine (Nephrology) and other Medicine faculty are featured in this DukeMed Magazine article about research collaborations around metabolomics.
Tag Archives | Stedman Center
In her State of the School address last month, Dean Nancy Andrews, MD, PhD, called Matthew D. Hirschey, PhD, an expert in metabolism currently with the Gladstone Institutes at UCSF, a “rapidly rising star.”
Hirschey, who will join the Duke faculty May 1, is one of the first faculty recruits to be hired under a School of Medicine program that supports partnership hires of faculty members who bridge disciplines or fill interstices between disciplines. (Watch video of Dean Andrews discussing the program.)
In Hirschey’s case, he’ll straddle the Department of Medicine (his primary appointment, in the Division of Endocrinology), the Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology and the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition & Metabolism Center.
“Matt is a wonderful addition to the Duke faculty and the Department of Medicine,” wrote Mary Klotman, MD, professor and Chair of Medicine, upon hearing he’d accepted the offer to come to Duke. “It will be exciting to watch him collaborate with other investigators in our department and across the School of Medicine to advance the field of metabolism.”
Top news stories from the Department
- DoM faculty among leadership for $47 million award for translational research
- DoM hires new division chiefs in Endocrinology, Medical Oncology, and General Internal Medicine
- Vance Fowler to co-lead national network that will address antibacterial resistance
- Duke selected as new site for competitive vaccine and treatment research program
Browse by category
10 recent news headlines from the Department
- Peppercorn to return to Massachusetts General to direct hospital survivorship program
- Tulsky receives Pathfinder in Palliative Care Award
- Duke launches Ebola resources website
- Boole selected as 2015-16 VA chief resident for quality improvement and patient safety
- Reminder: Sign up for electronic W-2 option
- Research Wednesdays discussion 10/22/2014 to explore Duke’s CTSA grant
- Grand Rounds 10/24/2014: Morbidity and mortality discussion
- Mary Klotman elected new member of Institute of Medicine
- Humor, resources, and collaboration surface at Clinical Research Appreciation Day
- 2014 DukeMed Distinguished Faculty Award: Thomas M. Coffman, MD
SOM Faculty Development – Current schedule
- Oct. 9: New Faculty Orientation
- Oct. 14, 21, 28, Nov. 4: George Gopen seminars, Writing from the Reader's Perspective
- Oct. 16, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 20: Financial Boot Camp
- Bayesian Machine Learning Methods for Epidemiology, Cognition, and Neuroscience
- Polymer Mechanochemistry for the Triggered Release of Small Molecules
- Duke Ebola Innovation Challenge
- DGHI Journal Club: Climate Change
- "Short latency cerebellar modulation of the basal ganglia & the VTA"
- UPGG Tuesday Seminar Series: "The FG-repeat domain of the yeast nucleoporin Nup100 is necessary for Msn5-mediated nuclear protein export "
- Immunology Seminar Series
- NIH - Nutrition and Alcohol-Related Health Outcomes (R01, R03, R21) -- AIDS
- NIH - NINDS Research Education Opportunities (R25)
- NIH - NINDS Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellows in MD-PhD Programs (F31) -- AIDS
- NIH - NIH Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings (Parent R13/U13) -- AIDS
- NIH - NK Cells to Induce Immunological Memory to Prevent HIV Infection (R01)
2013 Annual Report
Faculty and trainee resources
Find support for your research career with this index of resources for all levels of training.
Need to update your online faculty profile? Find instructions here.
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.