Chris Newgard, PhD, director of the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Svati Shah, MD, assistant professor of medicine (Cardiology), and William Kraus, MD, professor of medicine (Cardiology), Laura Svetkey, MD, professor of medicine (Nephrology) and other Medicine faculty are featured in this DukeMed Magazine article about research collaborations around metabolomics.
Tag Archives | Stedman Center
In her State of the School address last month, Dean Nancy Andrews, MD, PhD, called Matthew D. Hirschey, PhD, an expert in metabolism currently with the Gladstone Institutes at UCSF, a “rapidly rising star.”
Hirschey, who will join the Duke faculty May 1, is one of the first faculty recruits to be hired under a School of Medicine program that supports partnership hires of faculty members who bridge disciplines or fill interstices between disciplines. (Watch video of Dean Andrews discussing the program.)
In Hirschey’s case, he’ll straddle the Department of Medicine (his primary appointment, in the Division of Endocrinology), the Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology and the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition & Metabolism Center.
“Matt is a wonderful addition to the Duke faculty and the Department of Medicine,” wrote Mary Klotman, MD, professor and Chair of Medicine, upon hearing he’d accepted the offer to come to Duke. “It will be exciting to watch him collaborate with other investigators in our department and across the School of Medicine to advance the field of metabolism.”
Top news stories from the Department
- DoM faculty among leadership for $47 million award for translational research
- DoM hires new division chiefs in Endocrinology, Medical Oncology, and General Internal Medicine
- Vance Fowler to co-lead national network that will address antibacterial resistance
- Duke selected as new site for competitive vaccine and treatment research program
Browse by category
10 recent news headlines from the Department
- Setoguchi-Iwata awarded PCORI grant for $1.05 million
- Ambulatory Care Leadership Track adds focus on legislative advocacy
- Faculty Spotlight: Paul Lantos, MD
- Assessing The Value Of Patient-Generated Data To Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Grand Rounds 8/1/14: Surviving Sepsis Campaign: What is the role of antibiotics?
- Sad news: Michelle Winn, MD has died
- Meet your chief resident: Bonike Oloruntoba, MD
- Grand Rounds 7/25/14: Inpatient Handoffs
- Merson on the death of AIDS leader Joep Lange
- Doctor of Physical Therapy program moving to Orthopaedic Surgery
SOM Faculty Development – Current schedule
- July 31: Write Winning Grant Proposals
- Aug. 5: Foundation Funding Panel Discussion
- Sept. 17: New Faculty Welcome Reception
- Oct. 9: New Faculty Orientation
- Oct. 14, 21, 28, Nov. 4: George Gopen seminars, Writing from the Reader's Perspective
- Oct. 16, 23, 30, Nov. 6, 20: Financial Boot Camp
- NIH - Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN): Small Molecule Drug Discovery and Development for Disorders of the Nervous System (U44) -- AIDS
- NIH - Mucosal Environment and HIV Prevention (MEHP II) (R01)
- NIH - Advanced Clinical Trials to test Artificial Pancreas Device Systems in Type 1 Diabetes (UC4)
- NIH - Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN): Small Molecule Drug Discovery and Development for Disorders of the Nervous System (UH2/UH3) -- AIDS
- NIH - Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN): Small Molecule Drug Discovery and Development for Disorders of the Nervous System (UH2/UH3)
2013 Annual Report
Faculty and trainee resources
Find support for your research career with this index of resources for all levels of training.
Need to update your online faculty profile? Find instructions here.
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.