Chris Newgard, PhD, director of the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Svati Shah, MD, assistant professor of medicine (Cardiology), and William Kraus, MD, professor of medicine (Cardiology), Laura Svetkey, MD, professor of medicine (Nephrology) and other Medicine faculty are featured in this DukeMed Magazine article about research collaborations around metabolomics.
Tag Archives | Stedman Center
In her State of the School address last month, Dean Nancy Andrews, MD, PhD, called Matthew D. Hirschey, PhD, an expert in metabolism currently with the Gladstone Institutes at UCSF, a “rapidly rising star.”
Hirschey, who will join the Duke faculty May 1, is one of the first faculty recruits to be hired under a School of Medicine program that supports partnership hires of faculty members who bridge disciplines or fill interstices between disciplines. (Watch video of Dean Andrews discussing the program.)
In Hirschey’s case, he’ll straddle the Department of Medicine (his primary appointment, in the Division of Endocrinology), the Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology and the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition & Metabolism Center.
“Matt is a wonderful addition to the Duke faculty and the Department of Medicine,” wrote Mary Klotman, MD, professor and Chair of Medicine, upon hearing he’d accepted the offer to come to Duke. “It will be exciting to watch him collaborate with other investigators in our department and across the School of Medicine to advance the field of metabolism.”
Top news stories from the Department
- DoM faculty among leadership for $47 million award for translational research
- DoM hires new division chiefs in Endocrinology, Medical Oncology, and General Internal Medicine
- Vance Fowler to co-lead national network that will address antibacterial resistance
- Duke selected as new site for competitive vaccine and treatment research program
Browse by category
10 recent news headlines from the Department
- Perfect receives honors for mycology research accomplishment
- Grand Rounds 5/29/15: State of the Residency Program
- Heflin comments on national shortage of geriatricians in AAMC article
- Save the date 6/25/15: Third annual DOCK symposium
- Register today for SoM Faculty Development upcoming events
- Multi-factor authentication to be required beginning September 1
- Save the date: June 5 is State of Department of Medicine address
- 5/28/15: Resident Research Night
- Grand Rounds 5/22/15: Heath Services Research
- In the moment
SOM Faculty Development – Current schedule
- May 5: Spring Faculty Meeting
- May 14: Theater Delta Vignettes on Mentoring and Research Integrity
- July 24: Write Winning Grant Proposals
- Aug. 6: Mock Study Section
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with and without diabetes in the Surgical Treatment for Ischemic Heart Failure (STICH) trial.
- Depression in Persons with Diabetes by Age and Antidiabetic Treatment: A Cross-Sectional Analysis with Data from the Hordaland Health Study.
- Gαs proteins Activate p72(Syk) and p60-c-Src Tyrosine Kinases to Mediate Sickle Red Blood Cell Adhesion to Endothelium via LW-αvβ3 and CD44-CD44 Interactions.
- Body mass index, respiratory conditions, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Platelet aggregation and mental stress induced myocardial ischemia: Results from the Responses of Myocardial Ischemia to Escitalopram Treatment (REMIT) study.
- Safety, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamic properties of oral DEBIO1143 (AT-406) in patients with advanced cancer: results of a first-in-man study.
- "Theory before data -- adventures in the social sciences modeling bargaining, voting, and war"
- Thursday Seminar Series
- Department of Cell Biology In House Seminar
- Structural biology of RNA-mediated gene regulation and histone mark-mediated epigenetic regulation
- Machine Learning with MATLAB
- Non-Academic Biomedical Career Workshop
- Student Research Talks: Charitable Giving Data, Duke Coursera Data, WIC Data
- NIH - Martin Delaney Collaboratories for HIV Cure Research (UM1)
- USAID - Human Resource for Health (HRH) Program
- NIH - Characterization of Pro- and Anti-Geronic Proteins and Peptides (R01) -- Deadlines Extended
- EPA - Field Implementation Meeting Support
- NIH - Oncology Co-Clinical Imaging Research Resources to Encourage Consensus on Quantitative Imaging Methods and Precision Medicine (U24)
Faculty and trainee resources
Find support for your research career with this index of resources for all levels of training.
Stats help stat Faculty investigators can request biostats support.
Need to update your online faculty profile? Find instructions here.